Resveratrol is a natural supplement. It is popular for its anti-aging effects. It is even used to enhance brain health, promote health of heart, in weight loss therapy, enhance athletic endurance, to prevent oxidative damage, and in the reduction of cholesterol.
Higher dose of the supplement is useful for the people who are suffering from obesity. The recommended dose is 200mg-400mg a day. It is observed that with this dose, there was considerable resistance towards weight gain. This is due to the enhanced thermogenesis, aerobic capacity, and mitochondrial biogenesis as observed and studied in rats.
Resveratrol is a polyphenol which can be found in red wine, grapes, nuts, berries and pomegranate. It is as well found in Knotweed from Japan which is harvested year round.
Majority of the supplements are sourced from this Japanese Knotweed called polygonum cuspidatum. Bit these products come with lot of side effects. There is a reason behind this. Some sources of resveratrol contain a compound called emodin which is not good for health. One among them is this Japanese knotweed. Emodin is a laxative which can cause severe diarrhea and even nausea.
If the supplement is sourced from grapes it may contain emodin but to less extent. So it is always better to go for resveratrol sourced from grapes and with high quality.
There are few conditions when this supplement should be avoided. If the individual is already taking medications to prevent blood clotting then they should avoid this supplement because even this supplement has the property to reduce clotting. In case of intake, it can result in bleeding and bruising.
There is a long list of conditions, estrogenic side effects of Resveratrol medicines and herbal remedies that can interact with resveratrol and lead to side effects. Some are
- Immunosuppressants and inhibitors of HIV protease
- Herbal supplements like ginkgo biloba
- Medications used for erectile dysfunctions
- Avoid the medications related to liver like Allegra, Nizoral, Mevacor, Sporanox and Halcion
- Medications which slow down clotting are already in usage then this supplement should be avoided
- If one is allergic to wine, grapes then they should avoid this supplement. Look at all the ingredients used for this supplement. If the individual is allergic to any one of them, then they should avoid this supplement
- It should be avoided in the patients, who are suffering from estrogen sensitive cancers like uterine fibroids, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, uterine cancer, and breast cancer
- If one is already taking anti depressants like Nialamide, Isocarboxazid, phenelzine, Hydracarbazine, non-hydrazines, moclobemide, tranycypromine, pirlindole,toloxatone, rasagiline, and eldepryl then they should avoid taking this supplement
- Medications like antifungal and antiviral should not be taken along with this supplement
- Since it has anti-tumor nature, it can suppress the growth of blood vessels. So when there is something to be cured, this supplementation should be stopped for three days and allow the wound to cure
- If there is a scheduled surgery then 2 weeks before it, this supplement should be stopped